miércoles, 22 de octubre de 2008

And no religion too...

I thought about religion and God some time ago, when I saw men and women sitting outside churches in Bogotá, begging for some spare change to eat or to get high with. Why do they stay there always? Is pity a feeling that can be stimulated by a church? I doubt it. I've begun to doubt and question the idea that a god can live inside a building. The idea that there is only one valid god or only one valid religion seems pointless to me, almost absurd. Instead of asking a person "What is your religion?", "Do you believe in GOD (like if a name spelt aloud will make me more a person or less of one)?". Instead, we should begin to ask "Do you believe in the justice of man?", "Do you believe in a higher power?", "What is your idea of good, evil?". Liars who tell me that a god has spoken to them, and told them the true ways of the world. Liars who deny the idea that I can respect and try to understand all religions that surround me. Liars are those that come and sell me truths about an idea or a divinity. I was raised a Catholic, but I reject the idea that the god I worship, that the idea of divinity that I have must be kept in a church, away from all of us and only those who have a light (or enough cash in their pockets) will be able to get inside, to gain true knowledge and wisdom to guide us all. Jesus did not preach in a temple. He came here, to Earth, to hold the women's hands, to touch the faces of children, to rid evil from the hearts of men. I like churches, but I dislike the idea of secrecy within them. I'm seduced by religion, but I can't get used to a single religiousness. I'm a sinner, yet I feel no need to repent my sins in front of a man who has in his head worse sins than my own. I don't need to pray out loud so everyone hears me: God lives within me.
There is no religion, as John Lennon said. There are ideas of religiousness. We just made it up so we don't feel lonely anymore.
And if God lives within me, and in all that is around me, then I don't need a church anymore.

PD: Si los polis de Bogotá tuvieran más decencia y fuesen menos insolentes, tal vez no serian tan odiados por nosotros, los ciudadanos. El día que menos lo piensen, ellos serán quienes nos pidan perdón a nosotros. Porque hemos aguantado lo suficiente, y ya es hora de cambiar. Así sea por nuestra propia mano. No lo digo por mí, sino por quienes sufren sus atropellos y sus abusos. Y su falta de educación y de cultura al responder.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Suscribirse a Enviar comentarios [Atom]

<< Inicio